I’m not entirely sure if I will keep it running from home or if I will drop it somewhere in a hosting facility but for now it will stay very close to me 🙂
2 x Server:
Plug 8 SFF Configure-to-order Tower Server 652065-B21
- HP ML350p Gen8 Intel E5-2603
- HP 1Gb Ethernet 4-port 331i
- HP Smart Array P420i
- Eight (8) Hot-Plug (SFF)
SAS/SATA Drive Bays
- Seven (7) HDD blanks
- Ten (10) USB ports
- Eight (8) PCIe 3.0 slots
(3×16, 1×8, 4×4), One (1) PCIe 2.0 slot (1×4)
- 4 x 16GB 2Rx4 PC3L-10600R-9 Kit
I added 1 WD Caviar Green 2TB per Host (WD20EARX) for the time that I would like to take the lab with me without the SAN.
HP V1410-16G Switch – Switch – 16 x 10/100/1000 – desktop. THese are very cheap switches. You will notice that this is a stron contrast with the CNA’s … I KNOW! But I wasn’t ready to buy so expensive switches that would fully support them. Therefore I will try to use the CNA’s as Peer2Peer direct attached ones and use them only as a 10GbE Storage backend. This should make it possible for me to run some different VSA’s or even a Nexenta Cluster.
Drobo B1200i; LINK
In this model of the Drobo we have 6x2TB disks but also 3x200GB SSDs. The SSDs are OCZ Talos MLC drives. I blogged about Drobo before with how the B1200i actually works. I am very happy that I will finally be able to test this myself in a real use case.
The Plan: blogposts will follow
- Install ESXi 5.1 on first server
- Build infra basics incl vCenter and distributed switches
- Build Auto-Deploy for the Lab
- Build nested lab for Server 2012 Hyper-V
- Build fake production environment – the DEMO lab incl AD, Exch, SQL, …
- Throw all Veeam products at it!